Saturday, October 22, 2016

Day 168, Machetes and Old People

TRANSFER DAY.

But that's about it. Nothing is happening around here in Yorktown.
Lol. Just another 6 weeks of camping.😁

Hmm. It was a pretty good week again. Nothing too crazy. Elder Simmons
and I gave talks yesterday and I feel like it went pretty well. Jeez,
I dunno what it'll take to not be nervous to give talks... you'd think
it'd be pretty easy when you're only talking to 30 people all over the
age of 60. Haha but no! Even when I see all their smiling faces and
the occasional missing tooth, the nerves still get me.

Yesterday I realized how unique this little branch is. This funny,
little old lady gave us a bag of freshly picked pecans and told us
like, 4 times, that there's a bag of chicken in the freezer for us.
And then there's the awkward old lady hug of appreciation for our
talks. Haha. Also, me and my companion have to play the piano as of
late because the piano player of the ward had surgery, so it is a
rough time. 😂 we try though. The piano lessons from 10 years ago is
beginning to pay off I suppose. We haven't been to class in a while
because we are helping in the primary program with the 5 kids. Oh boy
what a life. It's fun. 😁

Earlier this week we went on exchanges and I went with Elder Ridenour,
the district leader. This guy is quite the character. Haha. But it was
fun to work in a city that's actually kind of a city. The first thing
we did was some service for a lady whose house was picked up and
tossed by a tornado... so that's quite unfortunate. Another
unfortunate thing is that we spent like 25 minutes trying to fix the
dumb weed wacker, lol and we didn't fix it... so we just moved some
wood. In the process, we stumbled upon 3 black widows, a snake and a
scorpion. It was exciting to say the least. I'd never seen a black
widow that big! Then we had a lesson in which a less active guy
informed us about American history for 45 minutes without stopping and
declared why he was voting for trump for another 30 minutes. I don't
understand why people think we care... we came to share an uplifting
message you silly goose.



Luckily after that lesson we had a sweeeet lesson with this super
prepared guy in the mansion home of a member. It got me pumped.

As I am writing this, like, right now... an inactive member walked
into the library. This guy is one of my favorite people to visit. He
hasn't been to church in over 15 years and we had him sooo close to
coming yesterday. He told us he had been thinking about it and he
keeps inviting us to come back, so we are excited about it. He will be
a great influence on the branch. He was excited to find out about
Gospel Library saying "I didn't know technology could do that!"😂 what
a guy.

Other than that we just did some more service, such as making huge
bonfires and such. And working in the food pantry again. So yanno,
just living a pretty hard life. Teaching, making bonfires, and giving
food to the needy.

I think I will end with a spiritual thought. I studied Alma 5 today
and it was a fun chapter.

"37 ...ye that have professed to have known the ways of righteousness
nevertheless have gone astray, as sheep having no shepherd,
notwithstanding a shepherd hath called after you and is still calling
after you, but ye will not hearken unto his voice!

38 Behold, I say unto you, that the good shepherd doth call you; yea,
and in his own name he doth call you, which is the name of Christ...

60 And now I say unto you that the good shepherd doth call after you;
and if you will hearken unto his voice he will bring you into his
fold, and ye are his sheep; and he commandeth you that ye suffer no
ravenous wolf to enter among you, that ye may not be destroyed."

As we follow the good shepherd, he will protect us and we won't get lost.
I love you all! Do good things and have a good week!❤️

🎨 Elder Thorkelson

No comments: