Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Día 658 let the lower lights be burning

Hey fam!

This week was neat. The beginning of the week was a little slow investigator-wise. We actually called every potential investigator in our areabook that we hadn't before... We got one taker.. Found out that he lives in Lubbock and so it didn't work out. 

But then on Thursday we had zone conference and it was a good one. We discussed the song, Brightly Beams Our Father's Mercy. That song finally makes sense to me! It's super neat. Basically the Lower Lights are essential at night or in a storm for a ship to pull into the harbor safely. Without them, there would probably be a lot of shipwreck and death. We are those lower lights! We can be the guys who help guild someone to the Lighthouse! But our light has to be bright and steady through obedience and diligence. So that was pretty cool. It was also cool to see my pal Elder Worthen. 

Friday was wild. We went on exchanges with the assistants and I went to my cousin's area over there in Deerfield/Stone Oak. It was a hoot and a holler. I spent a lot of time with Elder Toone. We organized a lot of books and jazz. Then we had nonstop action. Literally every plan worked out and we had 4 lessons. We also got some tacos from Las Palapas. It was yum. I felt useful there too. I made some good connections with the investigators and members. I learned a lot from good Ole Elder Toone. Hopefully we can get some things Rollin. 

Saturday was a pretty crazy day too. There was a baptism and an emergency transfer in the zone. The baptism was great, except also the worst because it was in the YSA ward and after the baptism there was a YSA just talking with 4 of us. She grabbed my shoulder and it was terrifying. We quickly fled. 

Sunday was fun. Except Elders Quorum was disappointing... Apparently a lot of members think that sharing the Gospel is really annoying... Oops! It's okay though because we are going to change that attitude!! Learned some neat things about Adam and Eve in Gospel Principles class. Probably just High Priest speculation. Then we had a lesson after church. Out investigator is still going strong. She went to a member's house to read the scriptures today. Then we went out with Brother Tautfest and visited a couple people. Brother Tautfest is like, pretty cool. He's super into music and art... And so we get along. 

Ohhh. Fun fact (I think). We visited a member last night. He told us that his family was the last family that the missionaries who were chainsaw massacred visited before the event happened... Then they went inactive. Sooo to make a long story short. The Bishop told these two missionaries to not visit the guy at the taxidermy shop... So they went and ended up in pieces. I found out that the story is super true. :(

Anyway, on the bright side. I studied a lot about the truth and light. It's super cool to think that we can be the source of light for someone else. That light can Branch out to many more and that's what I love about being a missionary... Awe man, there is a good scripture, but I can't remember where it is located... Here is a replacement scripture. 

D&C 50:24-25
"24 That which is of God is light; and he that receiveth light, and continueth in God, receiveth more light; and that light groweth brighter and brighter until the perfect day.
25 And again, verily I say unto you, and I say it that you may know the truth, that you may chase darkness from among you;"

I love you all! Oh by the way I have worn the same black tie for over 2 weeks now. 

<3 br="">
Élder Thorkelson


No comments: