Thursday, November 13, 2008

November 13, 2008

I cannot believe it's the middle of November...I have been having a lot of reality checks in the past few days like that! A few days ago my companion said, "Hey elder, do you realize in three transfers you'll hit your year mark??"...and I almost died. That makes me sick, time is going by too fast! Then at our zone conference this last week the missionaries going home got up and said their final words and it made me worry that before I know it, that will be me...cause they said it's just that fast. ah! I just got here!

Grandpa sent another package!? haha...great! I loved the peanut butter so much that he sent me that I splurged and bought two big jars of jiffy extra crunchy peanut butter while we were in Daejeon for zone conference at CostCo. haha....we also got chips and salsa...mmm! ha-ha It's funny, American food is so stinkin expensive. A jar of jelly bellies was $22 bucks! 

Oh, the family photos- that album is a huge deal! haha i use it a lot. Keep it on my person. people absolutely love to see them- that's the first thing people in the ward ask you about it seems....where's your album!? When we meet new investigators it's one of the first things we pull out. It's like a icebreaker and they love asking questions.

we ended up not climing the mountain again. apparently it's a bad year. Not enough rain this fall so they arent' as brilliant as i see in the pictures. they are dying too fast. sad. It's one thing I'll definitely have to come back to Korea to see! haha. It's hard to define "country" in Korea. everything is really condensed and central. I wish I could just zap you here so you could see. The city-city area is about the size of Saint Anthony, but there's definitely more buildings and people, about 100,000 I think they said. So, there's a bunch of 5 story buildings and a few apartment complexes, but it's just big in the central of the city, then it is just old houses, and not too far out is rice fields. Our area is large too- one of our recent converts lives a 45 minute drive away from us our in the middle of NOWHERE. It's beautiful. He lives in this little tiny "community" of like 15 houses that is tucked in this little valley. They are all really old traditional houses. it's what I visualized when I thought I was going to Korea. haha. I'll just have to take pictures.

The ward here is great! It's really small. seems like we just get 30 people out each week, but we have a solid bishopric that is getting the picture of missionary work, and getting excited about it! oh and a cool thing here is that the wards all have baptismal and attendance goals! I dont' know if they have that in america. the bishop is our neighbor and is always ready to help teach lessons. He's awesome. We live probably 20 steps from the church too...so convenient. I think I'll hate to go back to a 10 minute walk. haha.

Something really exciting- we got a whole bunch of cambodian materials!! pamphlets, triples! it's going to make teaching so much easier cause they can see exactly what we're talking about in their own language! we were so excited to get them and they were too- our one recent convert named Prak opened it up and immediately started to read and write notes. these people are so awesome. Who would have thought I would ever come to Korea to teach people from Cambodia? They are so faithful too. We walked into their house the other day and they all had their book of mormons in hand, one of them was dilligently reading it in his room. haha they are the best. The recent converts- Prak Sam Nang, Sam So Kay, May He En, and Roosh Boon are all getting callings this week and our bishop is going to buy them all suits and white t-shirts!!!! they are going to be so excited.

Well...i don't know what else to say...tell everyone hi. I hear Kelsey is coming to China?? tell her to fly down to Korea and I'll take her around the town! haha. tell her to write too. I haven't heard back from any of them.... ha-ha. love you all! the church is still true!

much love- Elder Thorkelson

ps- I've been sending letters out. I'm slowly catching up.... haha.

No comments: