Yanno, as I look though my journal, I think my future kids will be
upset that a lot of it is in Spanish... but life's rough, I guess they
oughta learn Spanish.
Anyway, this week was pretty sweet! I mean, P-Day was boring, but on
Tuesday we went on exchanges and it was a hoot. I went with Elder
Christensen and was the Senior companion for a change. He is a good
guy. We had some plans cancel, but yanno, I was like, let's make the
most of it and just find some new people to teach because there's no
one else around here. So we did just that. We did a lot of walkin and
talkin. These one guys were like, "Hey did you hear about the man
walking a machete? You two oughta be careful because I just got a
text." ... unfortunately we didn't see the wise guy with a machete. I
wanted to see what kind of approach a guy like that would have. Like.
Really? A machete? Lol.π Well, so we kept walkin and talkin and
yanno, we had a good time despite no really good plans. It's all about
the attitude. We ended up teaching 4 lessons that day and 3 with new
people! I was pumped. We split a dominoes pizza for dinner, so that
was yummy. I don't get pizza often.
Wednesday was District meeting and I shared a spiritual thought about
faith. We then all thought it would be a wise idea to bond at the
always delicious tacO Bell for lunch.
| Pizza |
Thursday we went on the search, with a member, for this lady who
lives in the sticks. We just got her records and she lives about half
a mile away from the mission border and It was too dark and her house
was in the woods and we couldn't see it and slenderman was definitely
just chilling there, so we figured we should probably go when it's
light outside next time... so then of course we drove up to the
mission border, and I wanted to get out and cross it for
rebelliousness sakes, but my companion thinks miracles will vanish if
I did that, so I restrained myself from touching in the Houston South
Mission. Lol.
Saturday was quite the day! We had a member drop us off 35 miles away
from home and we did some finding. Then another member picked us up
and took us to a different city, where we were stranded again. They
picked us up again after a while and we had some good old dinner in a
different city. I ate way too much enchilada lasagna and rice. πAfter
dinner, we hitched another ride from a member to this church social
thing or so we thought.
So about a week ago, this really exuberant African American man
invited us to his church social thing, so we decided we might as well
go and meet some people. We went and it is this Christian church
revival service. Let me tell ya, it was interesting. I thought I had
been to some pretty hardcore rock concerts before my mission but...
there we are sitting in this church and we can't leave because that'd
be rude. The band starts playing, suddenly the pastor starts screaming
things about Jesus and the people in attendance are shouting and
waving their hands around and we're just chillin like, uhhh what are
we doing here. Lol.
But. It was really interesting to see a different side of religion.
People worship in different ways and it's pretty amazing. All that
they are doing is worshiping God in the way that they have learned and
obviously I don't worship God that way. The important thing is that
they are trying their best to be close to Christ. Although there were
people up there screaming, they were always talking about being better
people and yanno, that's pretty important. It was definitely an
interesting experience.
And I know that is through the restored gospel of Jesus Christ that we
can be closer to Christ because we have the opportunity to learn who
he is more fully. It's pretty neat. The Book of Mormon is a neat book.
I didn't really like to read before my mission, but now I have come to
really enjoy it. It's so much more than just stories, but these things
really happened! It's the coolest history book!
| Texans! |
I love you all! Sorry I wrote a novel. Haha I hope to hear back from
you! Keep in touch. Send me photos and all that jazz. π
Elder Thorkelson
No comments:
Post a Comment