Sunday, December 18, 2016

Dia 224 Craziness

Hey Fam!

This week was totally crazy. Haha, but it was super great. Yanno, it's
always funny meeting people who just recently got out of prison and
they "found God." They got all sorts of insane stories to tell. But
anyway that is of no importance to the rest of my email.

Since the beginning of this transfer we have found so many new
investigators... probably more than I did for my first 2 transfers
here combined. We've gotten the chance to teach so many people! And
they actually listen to us! It might be because they think we are 15,
but it is fine. Whatever works. I had my first speed walking lesson
with a speed walking man. That is when I realized how hard it is to
speed walk and talk. That is quite the challenge. He ended up saying
that he's not interested for us to visit him again, but he'd take a
Book of Mormon. So we gave him one and he scurried off. Nice guy
though. Don't even know his name...

Then we decided that we should knock on the houses that have nice
Christmas decorations outside.. and after the first 4 people didn't
like us very much at all, we came to the conclusion that there is a
more effective way. Lol.

We had interviews with the Mission President this week so we had to
drive like 2 hours north to get there. Usually because we have to do
this, we drive halfway and stay the night with some elders. This saves
us from having to wake up at like 4 in the morning. Anyway we stayed
with these crazy Elders. Haha. The kind that like to tell riddles for
an hour straight.. so that was a treat. Interviews with President were
real good! Except I answered his one question and that was it... it
was so brief. I panicked and accidentally asked dumb/easy-to-answer
questions just because I wanted to talk to the guy a little longer!
Haha dang it!

The District


After that we ate at this place called Fuego. Best place ever. They
make all sorts of tacos. ๐ŸŒฎAnd when I say "all sorts" I'm talking
like, I got chicken&waffles, eggs, bacon and syrup all in taco form.
It was the greatest thing ever. Paid $4 for the whole thing and it
filled me up. Fuego. What a place. Too bad it's 2 hours away from
Yorktown. ☹️

I then went on exchanges with Elder Smith. He's a real homie. He's a
sweet missionary and he just gets it, yanno? And his last companion is
my current companion. We ended up finding someone they've been
searching for for weeks and in the process we made another solid
contact. The craziest things happen on exchanges. Missionaries like to
call them, "exchange miracles." Also, it was freezing. The wind was
biting my face off. We ended the night with imaginary hot chocolate
from McDonalds. I say imaginary because we went through the hassle of
getting in the Drive Thru line, waiting, and asking for hot chocolate
only to find out that they ran out of hot chocolate. It is fine.

Exchanges with Elder Smith


The next day was insane too because the zone leaders were coming down
to Yorktown to do apartment checks. They decided to turn it into
exchanges so we went on splits with the zone leaders! I was pumped!
They are neat human beings. We gave them the full Yorktown experience
by starting with service at the De Los Santos. They fed us really good
food and then we started moving his woodpile and splitting wood. What
a good time. During this time I also realized how much of a city boy I
am as my ax swinging was below par. My companion, on the other hand,
has impeccable form. He impressed the crowd. ~ We then made our way to
Kenedy where we split up and I worked with Elder Rasmussen. It was the
strangest thing too, you might even call it "exchange miracles" but we
were talking nonstop for like, an hour to different people. They just
kept showing up and we made solid contacts and new investigators. ~ We
have had zero investigators in Kenedy, and now we have like 5 in one
apartment complex. ~ it is neat. We ate some Flashburger (I am sick of
meat, dang it Texas), and had a few more super above average contacts
and lessons. What a night. Oh, we then squeezed the 4 of us in the
camper... I will send pictures.

A house in the middle of  nowhere we knocked 

I also had the chance to teach the whole restoration in Spanish to
this guy who doesn't speak English. It was sweet! My Spanish is rusty
because I haven't done that in a few months, but I made it all the way
through and he seems like a super solid investigator. That made my
day. I wanna speak Spanish like all the time.

Exchanges with Elder Rasmussen


Well, it appears like I'm writing a novel again... this week was just
packed! On Sunday we had a super fantastic lesson with Daniel. He's
doing his best to live the Word of Wisdom now and understands
(finally) why no other churches know about it. Haha. We also taught
the restoration to this guy who has 5 kids and he was super impressed.
He said that everything makes sense and he's never heard of Joseph
Smith until now. He really enjoyed the lesson and said the closing
prayer. I was so pumped out of my mind after that lesson.

Every inch of the camper was covered with a human

The church is True! The way to find JOY is through the Gospel. There

is no part of the Gospel that brings misery or pain.. the only thing
that brings pain is stubbornness and unwillingness to submit to God's
will. If we do what God asks with Faith (no doubt) then we will be
happy. Promise. ๐Ÿ˜

Hope you all have a fantastic week! God Loves you! So do I!
Be safe <3 span="">

Elder Thorkelson

P.O. Box 766
Yorktown, Texas 78164

No comments: