Friday, June 9, 2017

Día 399 I'm a HERO

Hello fam
This week was very neat because I'm a hero and such, but I will get to
that later.
I have been forgetting to write in my journal, it's so sad! But
sometimes when you get home you just wanna talk to the guys, Yanno?
On Monday we went to El Mercado to shop or something. It was pretty
ghetto... But there's this guy there who makes rings for missionaries.
I was planning on getting one, but he didn't have one my size so I
decided to hold off. I wasn't ready to make a dumb decision that day.

Tuesday we had some sweet lessons with our ward mission leader in some
good ole Spanglish, which is definitely a thing because kids prefer
English and the adults prefer Spanish... It's always interesting. We
don't have as many investigators as the good ole Yorktown, but the
ones we are working with seem promising.
We found out that one of them has a kid. That's always a surprise when
they are our age.

Also I just love actually teaching people my age. They are genuine and
comfortable to share anything with you. It makes teaching really fun
because you can just relate straight up with them. I met some members
who just got back from visiting their family in Herriman, so that's
pretty ridiculous. Except they went to Riverton... Gross.

On Friday I went to my first Jedi Council (MLC). It was pretty eye
opening because until now neither my companion or I have any clue how
to be zone leaders, lol. We learned quite a bit and it's fun being
able to implement the things we learned to better help the zone. It's
like a game. A big focus recently has been family history. We have
slowly been learning how to do it so we can help our recent converts
get to the temple. The retention rate for recent converts who take a
family name to the temple is ridiculous because that work and the
power of it is so real. In fact, just yesterday i was able to get a
family name ready to take to the temple so that's really exciting. I
have never done that before. Just as real as we are, there are spirits
in the spirit world influencing us. I like to think of family history
work as building a team and in this case, the more the better. As we
bring our deceased ancestors into the fold they are there with us to
help guide us. The restoration of the Plan of Salvation is pretty
neat.

Now I will talk about how I'm a HERO. It was pretty nuts. Also, I just
barely made a connection... It was also Wonder Woman day at the
library.. Coincidence? I think not! (There was this lady dressed up as
wonder woman in far too little clothing and she was old and it was
gross. However, my companion and I discussed how grateful we were that
that was the case... Haha). But anyway, the rest of the day was pretty
slow and no one was answering and such. Then we see this cute little
couple was walking their gorgeous Husky, like awe.💁🏼‍♂️ We continue
driving and this guy sprints across the street, like shoot. We look
and there's another dog hanging over the top of the fence. At this
point we were like, should we go help that guy? Sure why not... Then
the dog flips over the fence and is hanging by its leash strangling
itself to death. Mission Confirmed. 😎 We flip a U-turn and get out of
the car. Next thing you know, this stranger is shirtless and using his
shirt to constrain the dog. His wife is yelling at us to help him so
we jump in there, adrenaline pumping. My objective in this side-quest
was to unhook the leash. So I got in there and the dog is snapping at
my hand out of fear, but I unhooked it. The stranger then lowered the
dog and continued to constrain it. Another car pulled over at this
point to help, so we were all in this together. The rest of the night
consisted of finding the owner of the dog... Long story short, they
weren't home. We let go of the dog and it ran back home. Lol. Also I
didn't notice, but while I was unhooking the leash I sliced open my
thumb. Memories.



The best part of the story was talking to the couple while we were
waiting and the guy's wife says, "I've never seen him rip off his
shirt so fast."

It never ceases to amaze me how we are just put into these situations
of perfect timing. The craziest things happen on the mission. Although
no preaching went on during the whole "saving a dog from being
Strangled" exchange, I would like to think that the next time those
people talk to the missionaries, they might remember this experience.
That it might have softened their hearts to know that we are just two
guys going out there to help others and spread God's love.

I love y'all! Que tengan una buena semana!

Besitos <3 span="">
Elder Thorkelson

NEW Address!
8301 Lake Vista Dr #318
San Antonio, Texas 78227



No comments: