Tuesday, January 29, 2013

January 28, 2013

Today we hiked Hercules! It was such an awesome hike! we went up super snowy trails to get up there, but we made it! I have a TON of photos from the little excursion. I love beautiful nature! I'm just really glad that now it's starting to warm up! we heard from a member that it might get up to 10ー this week (celsius of course). Today was up to 5ー so it's definitely getting better.

So this week was a little bit rough... it started out super awesome with two street lessons on Tuesday with some really nice people that we talked to. After that, it went kinda down-hill. It was cold, and we both didn't really want to work. The wind was probably the worst part. I just don't enjoy it. haha. On Sunday we were warned of 'eisregen' (ice-rain) and church was actually cancelled. As the closest people to the church building, we went to the church and stayed to inform anyone of the situtation, or teach them about the gospel, or whatever we wanted. We planned on studying for those few hours. To our suprise, there was a knock on the front door, it was a member with two friends! So I don't remember the name of the member... (I have only met her once), but she is from Brasil and is here studying! She brought two friends, one from Argentina and one other from Brasil! It was so awesome. We gave a tour of the church and then had a wonderful lesson about the restoration of the gospel! It was a blast. They also said that they would come play volleyball on Thursday! woo!
After this super awesome lesson, they asked us to take a photo of them outside of the church, so we stepped out into the cold, and I took the photo... after this, we turned back to the church to continue our job of letting people know of the church cancellation... Elder Daugherty grabbed the handel and... yup, you guessed it... locked. bahhh! roughly thirty minutes of cold later, another member was there to bail us out... and he even came with hot chocolate for us :)
Kassel has some of the best members.
We have been working on communicating better with the members, and involving them more in the work. There are only so many things that missionaries are able to do, and with members, it is a billion times more efficient. We were talking about missionary work with one of our members, and he explained that missionaries are called to teach, not to find. Member missionary work is where we need to be focused.
I look back on the opportunities I have had to share the gospel, and I didn't take any of them! ahhhh! But now I know better, and more importantly, now i know HOW I can share the gospel.
I love being a missionary, even though sometimes it is ridiculously cold and I can't feel my face, fingers, or toes.

Elder Braden Thorkelson
 
 

No comments: