Monday, March 18, 2013

March 17, 2013

This week was a really good, productive week. for our apartment, we got new pillows, new beds, new mattresses, and new desks! We had a great Zone Leader/District Leader meeting in Hamburg, we set up a weekly service project, and many other things along the way :)
  For the trip up to Hamburg, we weren't able to spend the night in Hamburg, but we stayed in Hildesheim, with Elder Miles and Myrabo! They are both from my MTC group. We all know each other super well, and it was absolutely wonderful. We had quite a bit of 'pillow talk' about life and things... so we didn't actually get much sleep, but we were able to catch up on sleep in the train. Elder Miles and I are both District leaders and so we both went to Hamburg together and our companions worked for the day in Hildesheim. When we finally got to Hamburg in the morning, we were able to see a lot of familiar faces. I learned that in my first area, Heide, an investigator that I found is planning on being baptised in the summer! woohoo! Ulrich is so awesome. I'm pretty sure I talked about him a lot. He's a doctor, and a very spiritual man. He explained how it was really lucky that we came to his door at the time he did, because he usually doesn't have time, but as we met him, he did! so awesome. I'm sure that he could easily be a bishop in a couple of years :) --Other than being able to talk to missionaries, we were enlightened by the AP's and Präsident and Sister Kosak. We recieved a lot of motivation and instruction for the coming transfer.

  We were helping a family last week set up some things for their Move into Kassel, and this week they had the actual move. They were getting rid of so many things! A couple of those things were 2 large awesome desks, 2 bed frames, and one mattress. The desks were ridiculously heavy and somehow we were able to get them both up the 2 flights of stairs to our apartment... holy moly. I thought I was going to die. We had been lifting stuff all day into the family's new apartment, and then at the very end we brought the things up to our apartment. Needless to say, we were both very sore the next day. But now we have real desks!! woohoo! before, we just had tables to study on... lame. Now we have drawers to store all of our things. My Guitalele even fits in one of them! so cool. The pillows that I mentioned earlier... I found them :) haha. We live above a Bed store! We found the pillows (still packaged) behind the building next to the dumpster... haha. It was perfectly white and beautiful. They were returned to the store because there were two small holes in each of the pillows. I took a needle and thread and took care of that problem. Did I mention that they were €150 pillows?! hahaha. so we found €300 worth of pillows behind our apartment. That is approximately $385. holy moly. Why are pillows so expensive here?? I don't know... but I have slept like a baby this last weekend.

Transfer calls came also this weekend, and Elder Spackman and I will both be staying in Kassel for another 6 weeks. I'm really excited. The ward is also very glad to have us working here together. We have already set goals together to help us work hard and keep focused.

The talk that I gave in church? Well it was based on a talk from Elder David A. Bednar. I just took 4 of the points that he said and explained them in my own unique way. the 4 points being:
1. Denken wie ein Missionar denkt.
2. Lesen was die Missionare lesen.
3. Beten wie ein Missionar betet.
4. Spüren was die Missionare spüren.
so...
1. Think like a missionary thinks.
2. Read what the missionaries read.
3. Pray like a missionary prays.
4. Feel what a missionary feels.
So these 4 points I just explained my personal experience with being a missionary and tried to get across the message that every member can do these things. You don't need to be called from the prophet to be a missionary, we are all already called of God. When any member tries to do these things, they will be prepared to share the gospel.

The people here in Germany are super super similar to Americans when it comes to humor, style, media, and personality (a little bit more liberal than in Idaho or Utah). The only real difference I think is that they seem to have a 'mask' on when they talk to each other. It's difficult for them to be open with one another, whether concerning religion or anything spiritual, they are closed off. People are very nice, and willing to stop when we say 'excuse me...' but as soon as we say the words 'God', 'church', or 'Jesus'... you can forget about it, and they reply 'I have to go' or 'I don't have time for that' and walk away. It's pretty interesting. Whenever we see people from other countries, they stop and talk to us because their culture is different and they are more open.... So, that's what normal days are like doing street contacting or door to door.

We have heard from our Branch President that we are going to recieve Sister missionaries either next transfer or the one after that! So soon there will be Elders and Sisters working together here in Kassel. We have also heard from our GML gemiendemissionsleiter (ward mission leader´) that they will be hosting a student from Canada at their haus who will be studying Music at the University! But the student won't be here until next transfer... Crazy things are happening, I need to stay here so that I can see the changes! :D Kassel ist eine schöne Stadt. I would really like to stay here. Hopefully it works out so that I can :)

Weather here is still... meh. It snowed yesterday and the day before. I hope it's finally coming to a close. Summer time! Where are you? That just reminded me of a movie with Franklin the turtle... "waaaake up! spring where are you?!"... maybe Teej or Shawn would get the reference. anyway.... Things are going really well. We are going to be seeing success. True story. I love you all and wish you all a wonderful week!
Ciao!
Elder Braden Thorkelson

No comments: