Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Day 133, The "York"

Yo hey y'all.

I am in freaking Yorktown. Hahah I love it. This place brings me wayyy
back to the good ole Idaho days.. Except the fields everywhere are
rolling green hills. It's super pretty actually, and I can see the
stars at night. There are lizards everywhere haha it's dope. BAD news
though. They recently moved the camper into town, so I'm not in the
middle of a field. Bummerrrr, but actually it's a lot more convenient
for just about everything, so yeah. Lol. It's super sweet, like I'm
camping everyday! La shower is sooo tiny haha, what even is life?😂



My companion is Elder Simmons from Wyoming. He's super cool. We get
along well and he understands my artistic culture. 🖌 We jog over to
the high school every morning and workout there, so that's nice. We
gonna have some good times here in the York. I don't even know if "The
York" is a thing, but yanno, I'm a nerd and I like the sound of it.
Hah.



The branch here is tiny. Like 40-50 people within a 40 mile radius. We
have to drive everywhere between tiny little towns, so we usually pick
a town a day and work there. Since the towns are so small and
basically everyone knows the missionaries we do a lot of service in
order to contact people. Once or twice a week we do service for this
family and they feed us, so that works nice. These people used to be
professional chefs so they know what they are doing. I'm just praying
they don't make menudo. Lol. The other day I was out weed wackin for
like an hour. I got fried and turned into a walking grass person. I
think something bit me too because I was getting red spots all over my
left arm... Oh well. Tomorrow I'm tilling a garden. Haha, the work is
real.

Yorktown isn't a Spanish speaking area, but I've had the opportunity
to speak Spanish more than I thought. In fact, there's a member who
doesn't speak much English and she fed us one night. My compa was just
chillin while we were talking... Haha oops. Eh I like it. I love
speaking Spanish.

Okay and we met this guy from Belize... He claims to be a member. He
might be... Haha but no one can find him on the records. He's super
interesting.. I kinda think he's lost his mind or something. He's
always giggling and claims that he brought soccer to Texas. He says
he's coached college ball everywhere. He also said he coached Tim
Duncan... But nothing adds up... And the member we brought told us
that this guy doesn't show up on the Internet at all... So it's a
mystery. He actually came to church yesterday though! ... That was
also weird.. He's so loud..I just don't know what to think, but we
might have to rebaptize him, so that's neat. He's got intentions to do
good, so I guess we will see!💁🏼

Last night we met this hilarious less active member. We talked to him
and his wife about what makes a successful marriage. This guy laid
down the bricks and I left that place wiser than I was before. He was
chillin there shirtless and recovering from knee surgery, so he was
living the dream.😎 Yanno, teaching lessons is good, but sometimes,
especially for less actives, it's better to just get to know them for
a bit and not be so pushy. Some missionaries care more about getting
the good word out than caring for the people.. But like, if people
like you... They will listen to you, so... I think we left a good
impression and we will have some more stories about them later...

Charity comes first, people!

Hmmm... Anyway that's the word (as well as the bird is the word) for
this week. I will talk to y'all next week and I will have the
privilege of talking to y'all as no longer a teenager so that's
gross...
Love you all ❤️ CTR

Also, if you want to mail me something for some reason, my address for
the next 5 weeks is:

P.O. Box 766
Yorktown, Texas 78164

Elder Thorkelson



No comments: