Monday, March 20, 2017

Día 322 it's a God thing

Hi fam.

Well this week was quite a week, but I honestly don't remember like,
anything after Saturday. Haha, I will have to review my journal, so
just give me a second...

Okay cool. Yeah this week was good. I had catfish the other day. I
guess I like catfish. Lol. Then we tilled a garden. That was a good
time. The only bad thing is when you hit an ant pile and they crawl up
your pants and start stingin ya. Talk about Ants in the Pants. It
makes me dance.  What's the chance?...

The next day, being Wednesday, we had district meeting. It was
probably the most ghetto district meeting of all time, because first
of all... It's over face time. Second of all, there's only one other
pair of elders in the district. Third, the district leader was
Facetiming from the grocery store parking lot because the church's
WiFi was gone. Lol. District meeting from a car. That's neat.... But
then later this say we just had a ton of great timing. We ended up
sharing a message with a guy while he was fixing his lawnmower. We
came to the conclusion that if his lawnmower hadn't been messed up, he
would have never talked to us. Now he wants us to go back and talk to
him... ~ Then we had another lesson with a lady, whom we met a month
ago while she happened to be working in someone else's yard. She is
super cool and said she knows the book of Mormon is true already. ~
Then we started heading somewhere that I knew wasn't going to accept
us, but then a name hit me in the head and we visited that name
instead. Turns out its a young family looking for a church. They had
been talking about our brief encounters from about a month ago. They
told us, they are for sure gonna give us a shot. Neat!

District Meeting

Hours day we got haircuts and it's super short on the sides. I dunno

how I feel about it... Later that day, another name randomly hit me in
the head and we visited them and got a sweet referral. It's a God
thing.

I went on exchanges with the District Leader on Friday. That was a
hoot. First we were gonna mow a lady's yard, so we got there and was
like, "I don't have a lawnmower." So we were like, "Oh." Then a dog
tried to kill us and scorpioned it so bad when its chain restrained it
from devouring us. Then we saw this weird old guy for the second time
in 2 completely different places and he said, "it's a God thing." Haha
I love that. 😂We played kickball with one of their solid
investigators.. Then they dropped us, so that was unfortunate 😅
kickball was fun though.

Protein Pancakes


Saturday was awesome! Because Elder Renlund (Apostle) visited us and
we got to listen to his good words. At first, I thought he was be a
very serious and intimidating man. But he is not that! He actually has
a pretty good sense of humor and everything he talked about really
applied to me personally I feel. I don't remember any "quotes" or
anything, but he really just focused on being all in. We are set apart
as missionaries for this short period of our lives. It's not a time to
waste and regret when we get home. Oh and he also talked about how he
and the other apostles call missionaries to their areas. It's a pretty
cool process and strengthened my testimony that I am here because God
called me to be here. He said the first time it was his turn to do it,
he asked the other Apostles for advice and he said, "they all told me
the same thing and it was really unhelpful." Hahah, what a guy.

He doesn't fit in the camper!

Just knowing that I was called by God to be where I am helps me enjoy

the mission much more. It solidifies my purpose as a missionary and
the privilege that it is to be in each specified area. He also left
with an apostolic blessing which was pretty much all aimed straight at
me and hit my feelers. Good stuff. 😁 good day. We went out to eat
tex-mex with the zone leaders after that and then didn't get home
until after 10.

I took piano from Elder Meservy's grandma 10 years ago. Small World.

Now I know that I have written a lot, but yesterday was super intense.
Well first of all, we had 4 investigators at church again so that was
awesome. They are all getting more comfortable. BUT after church my
companion and I rebuked a couple people with all the energy and love
that our souls could muster. Haha the first lady went through a pretty
bad separation recently and was moping around telling us over and over
that she just wants peace and joy in her life. By the end, we were
just like, listen, we can tell you over and over how to achieve that
goal of yours, but until you do anything that we invite you to do,
you're going to stay in the same boat of hatred (not exact words, but
you get it). She agreed and resolved to read and pray. ~ next we met
with this guy that I've been meeting with for 6 months now and I
haven't dropped him for some reason... But anyway, he is a diabetic
and lost feeling in his leg and told us that he has given up on life
and he is just going to sit in his chair until he dies. Ohhhh boy, I
poured out my heart and soul to him to help him realize the true joy
of living. After 25 minutes talking about not giving up, it basically
boilded down to this, "Do you know what Satan's goal is in this life?
To make us miserable and feel worthless. YOU chose to follow Christ
before you were born on earth. Are you really going to submit to the
adversary and throw away the rest of your life? Or are you going to
put your trust in God and continue following his perfect plan of
happiness?" ~ That woke him up a little bit and we White-Horsed it on
out of his house leaving him touched and motivated to continue on with
his life 😁 Sheesh, I didn't know a 60 year old could throw such a
tantrum. But everything ended up great and happy. 😁 awesome night.

Now it's today and I'm writing you still.

But I love you all. I hope you all continue on the right path that
brings true joy, which joy comes in and through the atonement of Jesus
Christ. ❤️

Elder Thorkelson

P.O. Box 766
Yorktown, Texas 78164

No comments: